K1 Visa Fiancée of US Citizen

A fiancée of a US citizen may apply for a nonimmigrant visa, which allows US entry for 90 days. Within that 90 day period, the US citizen and the foreign fiancée must be married. The fiancée must then apply for permanent resident status in the United States.

To establish K1 visa classification for an alien fiancée, an American citizen must file a petition with the USCIS. A petition is valid for a period of four months from the date of USCIS action, and may be revalidated by the consular officer.

After entry into the US, the alien fiancée must apply for work authorization with the USCIS in order to accept employment in the United States. The marriage must take place within 90 days of admission into the United States. Following the marriage, the alien spouse must apply to the USCIS for permanent residency. The applicant is initially granted conditional resident status. After two years, applicant may apply to the USCIS for removal of the conditional status.

The unmarried, minor children of a K1 beneficiary derive K2 nonimmigrant visa status from the parent so long as the children are named in the petition. A separate petition is not required if the children accompany or follow the alien fiancée within one year from the date of issuance of the K1 visa. Thereafter, a separate immigrant visa petition is required.

Applicants who (1) have committed serious criminal acts; (2) are likely to become a public charge; (3) have used illegal means to enter the United States; (4) have a communicable disease or a dangerous mental disorder; (5) are drug addicts; or (6) are subject to the J1 two-year foreign residency requirement, do not qualify for a K1 visa, unless a waiver of inadmissibility is granted. The waiver must be approved by the USCIS before the consular officer will issue a K1 visa.

Divorce Lawyer Hilton Head SC

Call the Matyushevsky Law Group, LLC today


Matyushevsky Law Group, LLC
117 William Hilton Parkway, Unit K
Hilton Head Island,SC 29926
(843) 689-2700